Bloque L-39, Apto. 9 Distrito José Martí Santiago de Cuba,
CUBA 90600 Tel: 32974
afro-cuban artist: dancer . professor .
choreographer . percussionist
Idalberto Bandera Sidós, native of Santiago de Cuba, began his artistic career with
the Conjunto Folklórico del Oriente in 1976. The multi-talented Bandera is today
recognized as the principal soloist dancer with the Ballet Folklórico CUTUMBA. This
internationally renown company diffuses Afro Cuban folkloric traditions and specializes in
the music and dance of the eastern, Oriente provinces. Banderas virtuosity has
gained him recognition dancing rumba (guaguancó, columbia), dances of the Yoruba, Arará,
Carabalí and Congo legacies in Cuban culture; and of the Oriente traditions such as the
son, cutara (chancleta), conga as well as the French-Haitian cultural influences of gagá,
tumba francesa, Haitian merengue and vodún.
Bandera has also contributed to CUTUMBA as a choreographer, researcher, percussionist,
director, and professor, giving master dance classes to the company, community
aficionados, as well as to the international participants of CUTUMBAs biannual dance
and music workshops. He is a sought after master dance professor in his own country, as
well as in Europe and North America. A talented musician as well, he plays percussion in
various CUTUMBA productions, and on CUTUMBAs recordings.
In 1985, Jorge Lefebre, celebrated choreographer of the Royal Ballet of Wallonia,
Belgium spotted Bandera as a featured dancer in a CUTUM ¿BA production, and invited
him to be the lead male dancer in his ballet, "ERZILI," a choreography combining
classical ballet with folkloric tradition. Bandera received national and international
accolades for his dynamic interpretation in this visionary piece.
Bandera has been invited to serve on various juries for local, municipal and provincial
festivals. He has shared his knowledge and served the cultural community by giving
lectures and demonstrations on Afro Cuban folklore and dance, by cooperating with La Casa
del Caribes cultural activities, serving as an active member of the UNEAC (Union de
Escritores y Artistas de Cuba), and as president of Artes Escénicas (cooperative of
performing groups) of Santiago de Cuba.
Bandera is an artist that is respected for the creativity, strength and expression of
his interpretations, as well as for his dedication to the investigation and the diffusion
of the cultural traditions of his country.
FEATURED DANCER IN FOLLOWING CUTUMBA PRODUCTIONS
MARIA LA O
CICLO DE DANZAS YORUBA
CICLO DE RUMBA
CICLO DE DANZAS DE ORIGEN CARIBENO
HOMENAJE AL MAYOR MACHE
- ESTAMPA CARIBENA
- PATAKIN DE OYA
- FIESTA AL TAMBOR ASSOTOR
- ASIKAN BATA
- RAIZ Y TRADICION
- CARNAVAL SANTIAGUERA
INTERNATIONAL TOURS & EVENTS (Participation
as lead and corps dancer, and choreographer)
Cugans, France, FESTIVAL INTERNACIONAL DE DANZA FOLKLORICA DEL MUNDO, August 1999.
Confolens, France, FESTIVAL INTERNATIONAL DE LA CULTURAL FOLKLORICA DEL MUNDO, August,
Martigues, France, FESTIVAL INTERNACIONAL DE DANZA FOLKLORICA DEL MUNDO, julio-agosto,
Cuneo, Italy, CULTURE DEL MONDO A CUNEO, cultural festival, July 1999
Paris, France, June, 1999 FESTIVAL LATINO, Disney World
Canary Islands and the Iberian Peninsula, 1995 (Cutumba wins Most Popula ·r Prize
in Cádiz, Spain for its show, ROOTS AND TRADITION).
Iberian Peninsula, 1992 (CUTUMBA performs in 27 cities, winning Best Group at the
International Festival of Theater (FITET) in Porto, Portugal).
Spain, 1991. CUTUMBA performs in various festivals, including:
- V Centennial of the Apollo Theater, Spain-America
- Fiestas Patronales in Bilbao, Logroño, Cuellar, Salamanca
- Festivals of Cataluña, Cargos, Barcelona
- Día de América in Asturias, Segovia, Ponferrada, Huesca
- Inauguration of the Teatro Principal, Reinoso
- Celebration of Bicentennial of the French Revolution, 1989, Paris, France
- ENCUENTRO DE LA AMISTAD, Martinique, and Guadaloupe, 1989
- FESTIVAL OF CARIBBEAN ARTS, Cancún, Mexico, 1988
- DIA DEL ABRAZO, Paraíbo, Surinam, 1983
SELECTED EVENTS IN CUBA (Participation as lead and corps dancer and choreographer)
- Festival of the Teatro Camaguey
- Cabaret San Pedro de Mar
- Festival Wemilere, La Habana
- Festival de Rafael Lay en memoriam
- Reception for Sovie t delegation
- Reception for wife of Francois Mitterand of France
- Festival de Coreografía
- Festival de la Toronja, Isle of Youth
- Fiesta del Fuego and Festival del Caribe, Santiago de Cuba
- Semana de Cultura Santiaguera
- Semana de la Cultura de Ciego de Avila
- Festival de Teatro de La Habana
- Activities sponsored by INTUR (Department of Tourism)
- Celebration of the 400 Anniversay of the founding of Baracoa
INVITED FEATURED DANCER
- El Puente Academy, Brooklyn, New York, October 1999
- Bank Street School for Children, Manhattan, New York, October 1999
- Bennett Elementary School, Boiceville, New York, 1999
- Kingston High School, Kingston, New York
- Woodstock Day School, Woodstock, New York
- BALLET ROYALE OF WALLONIA, BELGIUM, lead dancer in folkloric ballet, "Erzili,"
choreographed by Jorge LeFebre, for which Bandera receives national and international
- BALLET ROYALE OF WALLONIA, BELGIUM, substitute lead dancer in folkloric ballet,
"Rito y Consagración de la Primavera," 1989.
- CONJUNTO FOLKORICO DEL ORIENTE, for Carifesta, featured dancer in performances of gagá,
vodú, La Tajona and soloist in La Cutara, 1979.
- CONGA SANTIAGUERA
- TRIPTICO RUMBERO
As invited choreographer:
- INTERNATIONAL WORLD FESTIVAL OF FOLKLORIC DANCE, Martigues/Confolens, France, two
massive choreographies which included the representative dancers of national companies
from Roumania, Cote DAvoire, Israel, Trinidad and Tobago, and Cuba, 1999.
- SEGUNDO ENCUENTR ´O ESPRESIVO-RECREATIVO, as professor of Afro-Cuban dance and music,
choreographed and directed the students and professors of music and performing arts in a
performance at Cortés de la Frontera, Serranía de Ronda, Málaga, Spain.
- AL SON DEL BONGO, Federación de Estudiantes Universitarios (FEU), Insituto Superior
Pedagógico Frank País, receiving First Place.
Featured as percussionist in Cutumba productions:
- CONGA SANTIAGUERA
- TRIPTICO RUMBERO
- BATA RUMBA
- Invited percussionist in theater piece:
- ASAMBLEA DE MUJERES, Ciego de Avila & Camaguey
- BALLET FOLCLORICO CUTUMBA, compact disc, EGREM 1997
- CANTOS Y TOQUES FOLKLORICOS, ESTUDI O SIBONEY
- CANTOS Y TOQUES FOLKLORICOS, LOCAL DE CUTUMBA
MASTER DANCER TEACHER
- RITMOS AFRO-CUBANOS, Santiago de Cuba, international dance and music workshop, offered
by the Center of Creative Education of New York in conjunction with the Unión de
Escritores y Artistas Cubanos (UNEAC), January 2000.
- UNITY ARTS CENTER, Los Angeles, California, November 1999
- OCCIDENTAL COLLEGE, Los Angeles, California, November 1999
- SCRIPPS COLLEGE, Claremont , California, November 1999
- CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, Departments of Latin American Studies, Music, and
Educational Opportunities Program, Los Angeles, November 1999
- ART CENTER COLLEGE OF DESIGN, Pasadena, California, November 1999
- LONG ISLAND UNIVERSITY, Brooklyn, New York, October 1999
- BARD COLLEGE, Annandale, New York, October 1999
- PHOENICIA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, Phoenicia, New York, October, 1999
- CENTER FOR CREATIVE EDUCATION, Stoneridge, New York, October 1999
- INSTITUTO DE ENSENANZA MEDIA EL PALO, Málaga, Spain, February-April 1999
- ELEGGUA PROJEC T 1996-1998, International workshops in Afro-Cuban dance, music
and folklore, Canadian-Cuban cooperative project , offered biannually in Santiago de Cuba.
- Invited professor at the INTERNATIONAL DANCE FESTIVAL, to give classes on dances of
Oriente Province, La Habana.
- CUTUMBA, professional dance corps professor.
- Professor in the development of folkloric dancers, classes directed by CUTUMBA.
- BRIGADA JUAN MARINELLO, invited professor of practical folklore.
- CONJUNTO FOLKLORICO NACIONAL DE CUBA, class for prestigious corps dancers on "La
Tajona", La Habana.
HONORS & PROFESSIONAL COLLABORATIONS
- Artist in Residence with the Percussion Orchestra of Kingston (POOK), Kingston, New
York, October, 1999
- Recognition by the Executive Directors wof the International World Festival of
Folkloric Dance for two massive choreographies of dancers from representing dance
companies including Roumania, Cote DAvoire, Israel, Trinidad and Tobago, and Cuba,
- Artistic and General Director, CUTUMBA, 1999- present.
- Active member of UNEAC (Union of Writers and Artists), Santiago de Cuba, 1998.
- Invited jury member, CONCURSO MUNICIPAL DE LA RUMBA, Casa de la Cultura of Nuevo Vista
- Lecture on "La Mujer en La Manifestación de la Rumba", Casa de la Cultura of
Nuevo Vista Alegre, 1996.
- MARTHA GRAHAM AWARD, in recognition for work in the development of professional training
awarded by the UNEAC (Union of Writers and Artists).
- Invited Judge at the INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF THE SON, CUBA-DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, 1994.
- President of the LA ASOCIACION DE LOS HERMANOS S sAIZ (national confederation of
theater and dance groups), Santiago de Cuba, 1986-1988.
- MARTHA GRAHAM AWARD for distinguished work in ERZILI, with Belgiums ROYAL BALLET
OF allonie, presented by UNEAC.
- FIRST PRIZE in THE FEDERATION OF UNIVERSITY STUDENTS FESTIVAL for choreographed piece,
"Al Son del Bongó", 1991.
- Invited to serve as technical collaborator in dance for Dirección de Aficionados de
- Collaborator with the CASA DEL CARIBE, Santiago de Cuba.
- Evaluated highest category as PRIMER BAILARIN and highest category as PROFESOR
ESPECIALIZADO DE DANZA FOLKLORICA by the National Commision of Dance, which included
Manolo Micler, prestigious choreographer of the National Folkloric Company of Cuba.
CONCIERTO BARROCO, a Cuba/Spain/Mexico co-production, by Mexican director, Paul Ledou.
Bandera is a protaganist in the film and a featured dancer.
TELEVISION (This is a brief selection of the numerous programs in which Bandera has
"LA GUAPERIA", national television,
"ERZILI", includes interview on his
participation in this folkloric ballet as lead, male dancer with The Royal Ballet of
Inauguration of the Museum of the Carnaval, Santiago de Cuba.
Festival of Artes Escénicas.
Casa de la Amistad
Festival del Pregón
Arte y Folklor
Castillo del Morro
Idalberto Bandera can also be contacted at
BALLET FOLKLORICO CUTUMBA
Enramadas #115 e/ Padre Pico y Gallo
Santiago de Cuba, CUBA
Tel: & FAX 22441